QUESTIONS (GRADES 1 TO 5):
- Who was Muhammad Ali?
- What was Muhammad Ali famous for?
- What sport did Muhammad Ali excel in?
- How many times did Muhammad Ali win the World Heavyweight Championship?
- Why is Muhammad Ali considered an important figure in Black history?
- Can you name one of Muhammad Ali's famous quotes?
- What did Muhammad Ali do outside of boxing to make a difference?
- How did Muhammad Ali inspire people around the world?
- What values did Muhammad Ali demonstrate in his life?
- How did Muhammad Ali's actions contribute to the fight for equal rights and social justice?
QUESTIONS (GRADES 6 TO 12):
- How did Marcus Garvey's early experiences and upbringing in Jamaica influence his later activism and ideas?
- What were the main goals and principles of the Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA) founded by Marcus Garvey?
- Analyze the impact of Marcus Garvey's philosophy of Black nationalism on the Pan-African movement. How did it challenge existing power structures and inspire a sense of pride and unity among African diaspora communities?
- Compare and contrast Marcus Garvey's approach to civil rights and racial uplift with other prominent civil rights leaders of the time, such as W.E.B. Du Bois and Booker T. Washington.
- Evaluate the successes and challenges faced by Marcus Garvey in organizing and mobilizing a global movement of African diaspora through the UNIA. What were the factors that contributed to both achievements and setbacks?
- Discuss the role of women in the Pan-African movement and their contributions to the work of Marcus Garvey and the UNIA.
- Analyze the international influence of Marcus Garvey's ideas and the ways in which they inspired and resonated with African diaspora communities in different parts of the world.
- Investigate the response of governments and organizations to Marcus Garvey's movement. How did they perceive and react to the threat posed by his message of Black empowerment and self-reliance?
- Critically assess the legacy of Marcus Garvey and his impact on subsequent civil rights movements and leaders. How have his ideas and strategies influenced Black activism and identity?
- Reflect on the relevance of Marcus Garvey's teachings and the Pan-African movement in the contemporary struggle for racial justice and equality. How can his ideas inform current efforts to combat systemic racism and promote global solidarity?
These projects provide opportunities for students to engage in critical thinking, research, creativity, and the use of technology, while deepening their understanding of Marcus Garvey's life, ideas, and impact on Black history and the Pan-African movement.
Digital Timeline: Students can create a digital timeline using technology platforms like TimelineJS or Canva to explore the life of Marcus Garvey. They can research and chronologically present significant events, speeches, and achievements, while also including visuals and multimedia elements to enhance their presentations.
Podcast Series: Students can collaborate to produce a podcast series about Marcus Garvey's life and his impact on the Pan-African movement. They can conduct interviews, discuss key concepts, analyze primary sources, and explore the lasting influence of Garvey's ideas. The podcast episodes can be shared online for wider dissemination and engagement.
Interactive Map: Using digital mapping tools like Google Maps or MapHub, students can create an interactive map that highlights the global reach of Marcus Garvey's movement. They can mark key locations such as Garvey's birthplace, the headquarters of the Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA), and significant events or speeches. Each location can include annotations and links to relevant resources.
Social Media Campaign: Students can design a social media campaign to educate their peers about Marcus Garvey. They can create engaging posts, videos, and infographics to share interesting facts, quotes, and lesser-known aspects of Garvey's life and work. The campaign can be launched on platforms like Instagram, Twitter, or TikTok to reach a broader audience.
Debate and Discussion Forum: Students can participate in a debate or online discussion forum focusing on Marcus Garvey's ideas and their relevance in today's world. They can research different viewpoints, analyze primary sources, and engage in critical thinking and respectful dialogue. Online platforms such as Flipgrid or discussion boards can facilitate these virtual debates and discussions, promoting active learning and informed perspectives.