Lincoln Alexander was a Canadian lawyer who served as the 24th Lieutenant Governor of Ontario from 1985 to 1991. Alexander was the first African-Canadian Member of Parliament in the House of Commons. Alexander’s birthday, Jan. 21, was declared “Lincoln Alexander Day” in Ontario in 2013.
- What led Lincoln Alexander to become involved in politics, particularly in his role as Member of Parliament and later as Lieutenant Governor of Ontario?
- What were some of the major accomplishments of Lincoln Alexander during his political career?
- How did Lincoln Alexander's experiences as a Black Canadian shape his political career and the issues he chose to focus on?
- How did Lincoln Alexander's political ideology and approach differ from those of other Black Canadian politicians of his time?
- What specific policies or initiatives did Lincoln Alexander propose or support during his time in office to address issues faced by Black Canadians?
- How did Lincoln Alexander's leadership and advocacy influence the broader movement for civil rights in Canada?
- What was Lincoln Alexander's role in the civil rights movement in Ontario?
- How did Lincoln Alexander's race and gender shape his experiences and the reception of his political career?
- How has Lincoln Alexander's legacy been remembered and celebrated in the years since his death?
- How has Lincoln Alexander's story been told and retold throughout history, and how has this impacted the way he is remembered today?
- How long did Lincoln Alexander serve as the 24th Lieutenant Governor of Ontario? What is the role of a Lieutenant Governor? Can anyone in this role help the Black community in a practical way? If so, how?
- Do you find that Alexander becoming the first African-Canadian Member of Parliament in the House of Commons was inspirational and if so, to who and how?
- If you were to coordinate a “Lincoln Alexander Day” at your school, community centre or office what would you do to celebrate it?
- Lincoln Alexander had many firsts as a black person in positions of high authority. How did those accomplishments affect the black community and Canadian society?
1. Toronto Raptors Celebrate Lincoln Alexander
2. Akehil | 28 Moments of Black Canadian History | Lincoln Alexander
1. The Honourable Lincoln Alexander (1922 – 2012)
2. PROFILE: Lincoln Alexander